Sunday, July 7, 2013

The First Week

Hard to believe, but I've been in France for exactly a week now. Yet I've experienced so many new things in this week.  When I first arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can actually communicate in French and even have a decent conversation when someone is patient enough to listen to me stumble through simple phrases and sentences!  My homestay "mom" is one of those people.  She's very patient and chatting with her at dinnertime (which is usually around 8pm) is great practice for me.  She lives alone so the apartment is pretty quiet but I like that, as it makes for a nice retreat from the busyness of the city here.

My first few days in Nice, I found I had a harder time adjusting to life here than I thought I would.  Afterall, I've spent lots of time in Europe, so I won't have much culture shock, right?  Wrong.  So much newness!  I'm compiling a list which I'll post later.  I've also had to adjust to a new schedule (like dinner at 8pm!), new living situation (where someone is cooking, grocery shopping, and generally taking care of me - it's nice but still an adjustment!), new diet (fresh baguettes are delicious but I am getting a little tired of so much white bread), new language, new people, new modes of transportation (mostly walking everywhere which I love), new school (which has been great), etc.

I spent the first few days mostly on my own, exploring the city, figuring things out (like getting a French phone card), and beginning to unwind after a busy few months at work.  In the last few days, I've met a lot of new people and visited some places outside of Nice: Cannes, Sophia Antipolis, and Menton.  But more on those adventures later. Typing on a French keyboard is very slow as several of the letters are in different places.  I'll write more when I'm at the French school this week - their keyboards can adjust to English typing!

No comments: