Monday, August 19, 2013

Fortunately, Unfortunately

Once my stay in Nice was over, I had a lovely two and a half weeks in Switzerland and Germany.  And then, after being spoiled by relatives, sleeping in seven different beds, surviving a hike through a thunderstorm, and reconnecting with family and friends, I packed my bag for the last time and said au revoir to Europe.

My last train trip was one of those travel times when everything feels like it's going wrong.  But actually, it's not everything.  The reality is that lots is also going well.  And, so, I attempted to see the humor and the positives which led me to write this Fortunately/Unfortunately story.  Maybe you've played this game before?  It's one I like to play with my students in drama class.  So, here it goes.


It was the second Monday in August, the day I was to fly home.

Unfortunately, I had to get up after only four hours of sleep.

Fortunately, I got to watch the sunrise as I left Ben and Melissa's apartment in Berlin and rode the S-Bahn to the train station.

Unfortunately, when I got there, I found out that my train would be leaving ten minutes late.

Fortunately, that meant I had time to buy myself a cup of tea.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any black tea.

Fortunately, they had some other teas (though less desirable ones...)

Unfortunately, because of the poor design of the teabag, I couldn't close the lid on the cup and spilled tea all over my arm.

Fortunately, the multivitamin tea actually tasted okay.

Unfortunately, when I returned to the train platform, I discovered that the train would be leaving 25 minutes late, meaning that I'd miss my next train connection for sure.

Fortunately, the ticket counters were open (even at 6:30 a.m.) and I was able to get my ticket changed to another train.

Unfortunately, that left me with 3 minutes to run across the station and up several flights of stairs carrying 50lbs of luggage to the new train that I was to take.

Fortunately, I made it on time and caught the train.

Unfortunately, the train was stuffed full with no hope of getting a seat.

Fortunately, I could sit on my giant backpack which was more comfortable than the floor where some other passengers had to sit.

Unfortunately, a lady walking by as the train went around a curve almost fell on top of me and spilled her coffee on my head. 

Fortunately, the coffee wasn't that hot.

Unfortunately, my bum and my back were beginning to feel sore and I wasn't too excited about the prospect of spending four and a half hours on the floor of the train.

Fortunately, after the first hour and a half or so, the train stopped at a station where lots of people got off and I got a window seat with a table and an empty seat beside me where I could deposit my big bag. 

Unfortunately, the train eventually got fuller and I had to free up the seat next to me.

Fortunately, I found a place to put my massive pack that didn't require me to lift it above my head (which I couldn't do on my own anyhow).

Unfortunately, I was starting to feel bored and wishing I was already in Frankfurt.

Fortunately, two cute little German boys siting across from and next to me - who were very excited to be on their first major train trip with Oma - kept me entertained for the rest of the ride.

And so I arrived at the airport in Frankfurt.  Whether I should consider it fortunately or not, I'm not sure, but nothing very interesting happened on my flight home.  What was fortunate, was that my dear mother met me at the airport and drove me home where I was welcomed by my housemates and my very own comfy bed.

No comments: